2009 ALL SCR 2776
TARUN CHATTERJEE AND R.M. LODHA, JJ.
Dinkar Sridhar Tamhankar Vs. Bhalchandra Sadashiv Kavadi
Civil Appeal No.4353 of 2009,SLP) No.202 of 2009
14th July, 2009
Petitioner Counsel: VINAY NAVARE, Ms. ABHA R. SHARMA
Constitution of India, Arts.226, 227 - Civil P.C. (1908), O.47, R.1 - Review - Decree for eviction on ground of bona fide requirement of landlord passed by Small Causes Court and affirmed by High Court in revision - Review petition by tenant - No error apparent or no other ground available to tenant - High Court, however, allowing review petition and modifying decree passed earlier - Held, it was not permissible for High Court to entertain review petition and modify the decree for possession. (Paras 7, 8)
3. By the impugned order, a learned Single Judge of the High Court has allowed a review application and modified the decree for possession, which was passed on the ground of bona fide requirement of the landlord-appellant by the Small Causes Court, Pune and affirmed by the High Court in revision.
4. Feeling aggrieved by this order allowing the application for review, a Special Leave Petition was filed in this Court, which on grant of leave, was heard in presence of the learned counsel for the appellant.
6. It is not in dispute that the decree for eviction on the ground of bona fide requirement was passed in favour of the landlord-appellant by the Small Causes Court, Pune and affirmed by the High Court in revision. It is an admitted fact that an undertaking was filed by the respondent unequivocally binding himself to vacate the premises in question on or before 31st of December, 2008.
7. Such being the position, it was not permissible for the High Court to entertain the review application and modify the decree for eviction passed on the ground of bona fide requirement as we find that there was no error apparent on the face of the record or no other ground under Order 47, Rule 1 of the CPC was available to the tenant to file such review petition.
8. That being the position, we set aside the impugned order and restore the order passed by the High Court in revision, which affirmed the order of the Small Causes Court, Pune directing eviction of the respondent on the ground of bona fide requirement.